Monday, 8 November 2010

Mama-made Monday - a dress

One of the reasons I wanted to learn to sew was so I could make clothes for Matilda. I recently decided I was finally brave enough to make something from scratch (and without a pattern!) so embarked on a dress out of some babycord I had. I decided on a simple pinafore with buttons down the back and drew round one of her dresses to get an idea of shape/size. I almost came unstuck when it came to hemming around the neckline and armholes, but a quick internet search came up with using bias tape (which I cut from the same material and used to make a kind of rolled edge - I don't know the technical terms!). Anyway here's the finished result. It's not without imperfections but it looks cute and Matilda seems to be comfortable in it. Sorry some of the action pics are so rubbish - it's hard to get Matilda to stay still these days!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric, cute dress, beautiful baby; looks all perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful. Can't believe you made it without a pattern, clever lady! Cute model ;-)

    ReplyDelete