Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Mummade - a new venture?

One of the reasons I was so busy in the run up to Christmas was that I was busy crafting away for a trial of a new venture I have started with some friends. We held a 'Mummade' festive fair in a friend's back garden chalet to showcase our crafting talents and to see if we could make enough stuff to sell.

It was deemed an overall success - we each made a few quid (which we didn't think was bad considering we had not widely advertised the event). I made £25 and sold all the felted soaps I had made, but didn't sell any of my bags or Christmas decorations. Our immediate reaction was that the trial was successful and that we would hold more events in 2011 or attend existing craft markets.

The idea is that Mummade is a collective of 'crafty' stay-at-home mums, making things to sell (mainly from recycled or pre-loved resources) and rediscovering some traditional crafts. I'm fortunate to know some incredibly talented mums! I think we all found it eye-opening how much time goes into things like this!!

Here are a selection of photos from our festive fair (mainly of my contributions):

Felted soaps - made by me
Felted bauble - made by me
Bags - made by me

4 comments:

  1. The soaps look lovely; I'm not surprised they sold well.
    They bags are good too, and I'm sure you will be able to sell them in the future. I think you are very brave to try selling stuff - I would never have the confidence to do that. Nor would I be organised enough to produce enough decent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog via the GP forum...great sewing and felting!!! Looks like you live in a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both for the comments. It's a bit daunting putting your stuff on sale for the first time - it's hard to look at it objectively and get a feel for how much it might be worth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, thank you for sending me the link to your blog. I love this craft event that you set up for mums to sell their craft things, just the kind of thing I was ranting about in my last blog post!! It's great to see that it is working in some areas. I am wracking my brain cell to think how something like this could be set up where I live, there must be a way, surely. Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog. Pippa xx

    ReplyDelete