This is the recipe I use for plain, fruit or cheese scones. I'm not sure where it originates but it was given to me by a friend. They're simple to make and you can whip up a batch in no time! I've made the cheese version many many times!
Makes about 8
Cheese (2 big handfuls of grated cheddar or red leicester)
or Fruit (eg 2 handfuls of sultanas)
8oz self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1.5oz butter (easiest if it's at room temperature)
About a quarter of a pint of milk (I have used oat milk too and it's turned out fine)
Mix sifted flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Add cheese or fruit (leaving a bit of cheese to put on top of the scones if making the cheese version).
Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut into rounds with a 2.5inch cutter.
Place on a greased baking sheet and brush tops with milk. If making the cheese version sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Bake at 220C (gas mark 7) for approximately 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack or eat while still warm...
No comments:
Post a Comment