Well, I was beginning to think our babywearing days were numbered. The Ergo waist strap had started to dig into me and I couldn't get it comfortable and I just felt like Matilda was too heavy. Another problem was Matilda was really resisting going in it unless she was ready for a sleep, and then crying in it as soon as she woke up. I borrowed a friend's top-of-the-range Macpac rucksack-style carrier but it was no better - incredibly heavy and seemed to pull on my shoulders. It reminded me too much of carrying heavy backpacks on D of E expeditions at school! Then someone from the village gave us their old Baby Jogger 3-wheel pushchair, which Matilda loves and to be honest it's a joy to push up on the hills (although I don't think I'd dare take it on the bus or to the shops - it's huge!)
At the last Sling Meet I was asking for ideas and someone suggested trying a toddler-size mei tai. No-one had one available and then I remembered I had started to make one ages ago but stopped because I couldn't imagine when I'd use it as I was getting on so well with the much-easier-to-use Ergo. I was looking around on the Natural Mamas site for ideas when I came across Podaegi carriers. As I'd already made the shoulder straps, it looked like a quick and easy make - and it was! I used the dimensions from this tutorial. The top section is padded with a layer of fleece, while the top of the straps have four layers of fleece (cut from an old fleece blanket). The main body and strap fabric is a heavy cotton - similar to denim - while the body also has a panel of gorgeous tree/leaves cotton fabric.
I took it out for a test drive yesterday and I was really pleased with it! Sorry about the pics - they're just taken on my phone - I'll try and get some better ones taken soon. I tied it in a ruck-style carry, using the ends to make a chest strap - that way there was no painful waist strap and Matilda was nice and high so she could see over my shoulder.


That is a rather beautiful carrier. Heather has started wanting to ber carried again after a long spell of walking but I fortunately kept my carriers "just in case". If not I would have loved one just like this.
ReplyDeletexx
Thank you! It's still proving to be a bit of a struggle to persuade her to go on my back so it's nice to hear of another walking toddler who is wanting to be carried again :) x
ReplyDelete