Thursday, 2 September 2010

First quilt

Inspired by talking to a friend a few months ago I decided to try my hand at quilt making. I finally finished my first quilt last week, which I made for my friend's little boy, using a basic 6-panel patchwork design and stitch-in-the-ditch quilting plus extra quilting round the edge of the animals or trees in the centre of each panel. It was a bit of trial an error really (and lots of consulting of online resources!) and I had problems with the fabric bunching up while I was doing the machine quilting, so I have since bought a walking foot for my machine. For the centre of each panel I used an Ikea animal fabric, while most of the fabric strips around each panel are from Fabric Rehab. I bound the quilt with more of the Ikea animal fabric. Anyway, here it is. (I'm already planning my next one!)
I followed this tutorial for the binding, including the mitred corners...

1 comment: